The diagrams illustrate the changes that took place at West Park Secondary School from its construction in 1950 to 2010.
Overall, the school underwent substantial development, with replacement of residential and agricultural land to parking and educational facilities, while recreational space was increasingly reduced.
In 1950, the school consisted of a main building located along the northern side of the site, next to the main road. Three rows of houses stood to its west, while a large area of farmland occupied the south-western part of the site. A playground was situated in the south-east, directly behind the school building.
By 1980, the three residential areas had been demolished and replaced by a car park and a science block. The main school building and the playgroung remained unchanged while the farmland was converted into a sports field.
By 2010, the most noticeable change was the expansion of the car park. It had been extended southwards, taking up the whole area of the sports field. As a result, the sports field became considerably smaller and was relocated to the central southern area. Hence, the playground was reduced to accommodate the smaller sports field while the science block and main school building remained unchanged.
