The diagrams illustrate the changes that took place in the coastal town of Pentland between 1950 and 2007.
Overall, Pentland underwent significant urban development over the 57-year period. Large areas of grassland and industrial land were replaced by residential, commercial, and recreational facilities, making the town more modern and tourist-oriented.
In 1950, the western side of the town consisted mainly of an industrial area located beside the road, while grassland occupied the southern parts of both the east and west. A car park was situated in the northeast, close to the sea. The road ran from the southern part of the town to the northern coastline.
By 2007, the industrial area had been completely redeveloped. A park was constructed in the northwest, while a swimming pool and a multi-storey car park were built in the central western area. The former grassland in the southwest was replaced by shops and a cinema.
On the eastern side, the car park was transformed into a yacht marina, and the surrounding grassland gave way to a large apartment complex. Additional shops were built along the main road, replacing open land. Despite these extensive changes, the road and the coastline remained largely unchanged throughout the period.
