The diagrams illustrate how a coastal area called Pentland developed between 1950 and 2007.
Overall, the town underwent significant urbanization, with substantial growth in the transport network accompanied by the construction of residential and public facilities.
In 1950, the sea was located at the western part, seeing no transportation, port or human activity. To the south of the town, there was an industrial zone which was connected with the northeast car park by the town’s main road. By 2007, several modifications were carried out on the sea and its surrounding area. At sea, a marina was added, attracting ships and boats. A park was set up at the far southwest of the town, while in the south, the factory was demolished for the establishment of the swimming pool and the new multi-storey parking space. The northern part of the town witnessed the introduction of an apartment complex, along with the removal of the old parking.
The offshore land, which showed no sign of residence in 1950, was transformed into a fully functional area with sufficient amenities. Houses were planned into an organised area at the eastern of the town, while small shops were introduced and distributed right across the road running through the residential area. To the southeast zone, bigger stores were situated, opposite it, a cinema was opened up for entertainment purposes. The town central route, which began inland, ran through the grasslands before following the coast to the southwest in 1950, was expanded to fully cover the seaside and the neighbourhood, enhancing accessibility to the town’s services.
